Tuesday, May 26, 2009

California Descending

Having sat through my share of school board meetings in my little (very little) California community, I shudder at the thought of what awaits us from Sacramento. I'm a pretty small government libertarian oriented conservative and I feel that education should be handled at the local level. In my community, small and tiny as it is, we're about half-way there. Our school board does a good job, but it, like all schools in California, is dependent on the state for funding and the Feds for guidance (handcuffs). Since that's most likely not going to change, ever in my lifetime, it's something we have to deal with.

But how - more money? California already throws huge amounts of money at our schools and we're left with craptacular results. My little school district is going to be without art, music, physical education, a librarian and quite a few teachers. Class sizes for kindergarten are going to be 30. That's 30 5-year-olds and one tired teacher. Sounds like a great plan to me.