Saturday, October 25, 2008

"Spread the Wealth Around" TM - in theory and in practice

A friend of mine emailed me this anecdote today. I think it's worth repeating. I also think it's worth sending to all the "actors" you know. It might give them quite a shock.

"Here's an simple example of Obama's "redistribution of wealth" plan . . .

Today, on my way to lunch, I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read "Vote for Obama, I need the money." I laughed.

Once in the restaurant, my server had on an "Obama 08" pin. Again, I laughed as he made clear his political preference...imagine the coincidence.

When the bill came, I decided not to tip the server and explained to him my reason for this was that I was embracing the Obama "redistribution of wealth" plan, and since he was an Obama follower, he would understand.

He stood there speechless and in disbelief when I told him that I was going to redistribute his tip to someone who I deemed more in need...that being the homeless guy outside the restaurant.

Needless to say, the server was pissed and abruptly walked away.

I then went outside and gave the homeless guy the $5 tip, and told him to thank the waiter inside since I decided he needed the money more than the waiter.

Needless to say, the homeless guy was grateful.

As I drove off, In thinking about my "redistribution of wealth" experiment, I realized the homeless guy was very grateful for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was very angry that I gave away the money he had earned, even though I had decided, based on Obama's "redistribution of wealth" plan, that the homeless guy deserved the money more.

What I further realized was that "redistribution of wealth" is an easier thing to accept in concept rather than in a practical, everyday life application.
What's your thought, America? Is this Obama "redistribution of wealth" plan something we as a democracy really wants??"